Jewelry's purpose is to be worn, admired and enjoyed. To enjoy your jewels every time you put them on, here are some general reminders to follow so that your pieces shine and last for generations.
- Avoid wearing jewelry in showers, swimming pools, or ocean waters.
- Jewelry should not be worn at the gym, during strenuous physical activities or while performing chores.
- Jewelry should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off. Perfumes, lotions and hair products should not come in contact with your jewelry. Upon undressing, your jewelry should be removed first to avoid snagging and pulling against clothing.
- Travel with your jewelry in a pouch or box. Tossing jewelry in your handbag or pocket is just asking for it to be damaged or lost.
Caring for Gold and Silver Jewelry
- All karats of gold and sterling silver can be wiped clean with a jewelers cloth.
- For deeper cleaning soak your jewelry in warm water with a drop or two of non-detergent soap. Remove after a few minutes and pat dry with a soft cloth. For cleaning between intricate shapes and settings use a soft, worn toothbrush and gently brush within theses areas. Be extra careful around settings and gemstones.
- Rhodium Plated Sterling Silver should be wiped gently with a nub free cloth. The use of polishes or cleaning products should be avoided as they will remove the plating.
- Do not steam clean, use commercial cleaners, or an ultra sonic cleaner on pearl jewelry.
- Wipe pearls with a clean, soft cloth or chamois.
- Pearl jewelry can be cleaned by soaking in warm water with a drop or two of non-detergent soap. Remove after a few minutes and pat dry with a soft cloth.